top of page

Frequently Asked Questions about Personal Injury

What should I do after a collision?

  • If you have been injured in a car crash or other accident, the most important thing you should do is get immediate medical attention. Go to the emergency room or doctor and get checked out to ensure you receive all the medical care that is needed for your injuries.

  • Call 911 so the police respond to the scene and a collision report can be filed with your local police department or the Washington State Patrol.

  • Get the contact information and insurance card of other involved parties. Get the contact information of any witnesses.

  • Make sure to take photos and videos of the collision scene (your vehicle, others’ vehicles, and any other relevant information).

  • Do not admit fault for the collision or apologize to others, even if it seems like the collision may have been your fault. Anything that you say following a collision can be used against you in the future.

  • Contact your insurance company to file a claim or discuss your options with an attorney first.

  • If you believe the other driver is at fault, you should contact an attorney for a consultation to discuss your options. 

  • A consultation with Attorney Gavin M Simkins is free via phone, zoom, or in person in Federal Way or Northeast Tacoma.


How do I know if I have a personal injury case?

  • Don’t make this decision alone. Don’t let your insurance company coach you through this decision.

  • Contact a personal injury attorney and set up a consultation to explain your situation.

  • Attorney Gavin M Simkins offers free consultations for people injured in collisions and other accidents in Federal Way, Northeast Tacoma, Browns Point, and surrounding communities.

  • Your attorney can help you figure out who you can sue and what you can expect to recoup. Each situation is different, based on the circumstances of the accident and the laws in your state.

  • You typically have a case if someone else caused your injuries by acting negligently or recklessly. However, this rule of thumb is more complicated than it sounds, so always contact an attorney prior to making a decision.

What should I do when an insurance adjuster calls me?

  • Do not speak to the insurance adjuster from the other vehicle’s driver.

  • While they may seem compassionate and interested in your situation, they are trying to extract comments and statements from you that would reduce their liability and end up costing their company less money.

  • Tell the insurance adjuster to contact your attorney, or tell the other insurance adjuster to contact your own insurance company, rather than you.

  • The same applies if another person’s attorney calls you. Do not speak to them, for you may complicate your situation down the road with your personal injury case.

  • Reach out to a personal injury attorney in your area instead of speaking with the insurance adjuster. Once you have an attorney on your case, all communication from the insurance adjusters is handled by your attorney. Federal Way personal injury attorney Gavin M Simkins and his legal team are prepared to take your case. Call them today for a free consultation.


How do I pay for an attorney for my personal injury case?

  • Do not worry if you do not have money to pay for a lawyer.

  • Personal injury attorney Gavin M Simkins will consult with you about your case for free, and if he agrees to take your personal injury case, there is no up-front cost.

  • Gavin M Simkins will collect his fee only when you are awarded a settlement or judgment thanks to his representation and collaboration on your injury claim. If you don’t get paid, neither does your attorney. He will work tirelessly for you to achieve your outcomes and seal the deal.


What damages are available for my personal injury case?

  • The main type of damages, “compensatory damages,” is divided into economic damages and non-economic damages.

  • Economic damages are based on factual costs and losses, including bills for medical care, lost income and capacity to earn income in the future, property damage to your vehicle, and the costs of future medical treatment. 

  • Non-economic damages cover things like pain and suffering, mental anguish, and lost enjoyment of life. Damages must be measurable to be awarded, instead of simply speculative.

  • Always discuss your case with an attorney before making any request for damages from anyone. Gavin M Simkins will consult with you for free to explore all your options with your car crash injuries and personal injury claim.


How much is my personal injury case worth?

  • This depends entirely on the nature of your injuries and the treatment necessary to support your healing and recovery from your injuries.

  • No one can estimate the worth of your case until it has been thoroughly investigated. 

  • Ask Federal Way personal injury attorney Gavin M Simkins for an estimate, based on similar cases that they have handled. However, attorneys cannot promise you a certain amount or predict the outcome of a case. They may give their best guess, but it is not a guarantee.

  • Another question to ask is how much you will collect from the claim, which depends on things such as the insurance coverage and policy of the at-fault parties, their assets, and your own car insurance policy.


How long will it take to settle my claim?

  • Most personal injury cases do not go all the way to trial. The majority end in a settlement with the defendant or insurance company.

  • However, it can take time to negotiate and agree to a settlement, and it is difficult to predict your specific timeline. 

  • In general, personal injury claims that involve significant injuries and a substantial sum of money take longer to settle because the insurer fights over the large sum more vehemently.

  • If your case is complex, significant, and/or the liability of the collision is unclear, it may take more time to reach a settlement.

  • Having an attorney places you at an advantage over non-represented parties, motivating the insurance company and defendant to make better offers knowing that you have a personal injury attorney in your corner. They are less likely to take advantage of you if you have the representation of Federal Way personal injury attorney Gavin M Simkins.


What if I had a pre-existing health condition?

  • You can still get damages from the other driver if you had a pre-existing condition. 

  • The damages may be less because of the pre-existing condition, but the other person or entity is still accountable for aggravating your condition.

  • Whether or not you had a pre-existing condition does not lessen the fault of the other party. If they caused injuries or aggravated your pre-existing condition, they are responsible for making it right.

  • These cases are much more complex than a typical personal injury case. You may require the assistance of medical experts or other professionals, so it is important to hire an attorney. Reach out to Gavin M Simkins for a free consultation via phone, zoom, or in person in Federal Way or Northeast Tacoma.


Do I have a case if I do not feel hurt?

  • Even if you do not feel pain immediately following a crash or accident, you may still be injured.

  • The way the body responds to traumatic situations such as an accident involves an adrenaline rush throughout the body in response to the trauma. This often temporarily delays or blocks pain.

  • You may begin to feel much more pain and develop other injury symptoms later. 

  • It is always best to schedule a doctor’s appointment after the collision even if you do not immediately feel injured.

  • Many serious injuries and conditions, such as whiplash, head injury, spine injury, etc., emerge and become more significant over time.


How long do I have to file a personal injury case?

I am a current client of your firm, where can I learn more about my case?

bottom of page